Social Justice Committee
This committee is the main hub for the social justice program, providing congregational leadership in local, national and global justice issues consistent with the UUA Principles related to justice.
- Convenes First Parish social justice leaders to coordinate various components and discuss needs and opportunities.
- Promotes awareness and celebration of social justice efforts at First Parish
- Facilitates task groups to conduct components of our program that have well-defined processes and few meetings: special social justice worship services, responding to emergent issues, conducting our share-the-plate (Giving First), and running the annual Pie Palace fundraiser
- Evaluates proposals to initiate new self-directed working groups, considering whether there is sufficient volunteer energy and institutional capacity
- Serves as initial point of contact for outside groups seeking co-sponsorships and coordination
Much of the social justice work at First Parish happens with our working groups. Each group provides organizing leadership around a justice topic that aligns with energy and motivation for action in our congregation. To learn more about our current working groups focused on racial justice, indigenous justice, climate action, refugee support, and defending democracy, please select one from the menu at the left of this page.
Some of the social justice programs that happen every year are managed in task groups established by the Social Justice Committee. Our current task groups are: